Loisaida’s Artistic Residency Program
The Loisaida Center
Loisaida Center is a platform for contemporary and emerging artists and cultural producers working in a variety of disciplines like: music, theater, performance art, poetry, dance, visual arts, creative writing, cultural research and more. The Residency Program has a local focus, yet is international in scope; selection criteria favors projects that explore/reflect a Latino sensibility, the challenges/diversity of our city and engage Spanish or multi-lingual aspects. The ability to change has always been connected to the immigrants that have populated the Lower East Side. Thus, there is a focus on artists working around the following themes and questions:
-How do we affect new thinking inside a connected community looking for movement to create change?
-Is connection itself a territory?
The program aspires to benefit both the community of independent artists as well as the geographical community of Loisaida. The program works as breeding space to afford the Loisaida community access to the contemporary art world’s independent creators, while also offering opportunities for artists to develop and present new work. The selected proposals are those that include components in which both artists and community nurture one another in a symbiotic process of education and art creation, share their work with our community, and inspire conversation and innovation throughout the city. This unique Artistic Residency provides a budget for project materials and rehearsal/creative space for the recipient of the residency while bringing a substantial amount of activities to the Center.
Invited artists will make use of Loisaida Center’s facilities and other assets with the following goals:
- To open the development or rehearsal process of the project to the Loisaida community, providing opportunities for creative development.
- To rehearse and produce a public performances (or a suitable alternative) to share the work developed during the residency i.e. dance, interdisciplinary or site-specific work that builds bridges across generations, communities,and cultures. This production will be free for all Loisaida community members.
- To engage the Loisaida community in the themes of the work-in-progress by hosting a choice of monthly artist-talk, flash exhibit, or story circles that deepen communal bonds, nurture emerging artists and give voice to the strength, vitality, history and aspirations of Loisaida residents. These components could culminate in a gallery showing and/or short play series inspired by the discussions, stories, images and/ or objects shared through this process.
- To cultivate relationships that we hope will extend beyond the Art Residency to create lasting symbiotic relationship that nurtures invited artist, the Loisaida Center, and the communities we both serve.
- The selecting committee is comprised of the center’s chief curator and an Artistic Advisory Board.
- Loisaida inc. organizes studio visits with curators, writers, college groups and other artists for all residents.
- The Loisaida Inc. Center is a platform for contemporary and emerging artists (Individual or Companies) who are inclusive of a Latino sensibility, working in a variety of disciplines like: music, theater, performance art, poetry, dance, visual arts, creative writing, cultural research and more.
- The Art Residency at Loisaida is a program that aspires to benefit both the community of independent artists as well as the geographical community of Loisaida. This unique Artist Residency will provide rehearsal/creative space for the recipient of the residency while bringing a substantial amount of activities to the Center. The program will provide the Loisaida community access to contemporary art world, while also offering opportunities for artists to develop and present new work.
Applications are accepted on a rolling open call basis. To apply to our residency program, please fill out this form AND email a short proposal to: email@example.com
Our past residents include:
“Opinions like those expressed while in a panel, presentation, performance or through artwork are expressed by the author in their personal capacity and are the author’s own. They do not necessarily reflect the views of Loisaida Inc., its affiliates or staff.”