Loisaida’s Artistic Residency Program
The Loisaida Center
Loisaida, Inc. Center continues to provide a platform for contemporary emerging and under-recognized artists, cultural producers and artivists working in a variety of disciplines such as: sound/music, theater, film and video, performance art, poetry, dance, visual arts, creative writing, cultural research and socially driven art practices.
The Loisaida Artistic Residency program has a local focus, yet is international in scope; selection criteria favors projects that explore/reflect a Latino sensibility, the challenges/diversity of our city and engage Spanish or multi-lingual aspects. The ability to change has always been connected to the immigrants that have populated the Lower East Side. Thus, there is a focus on artists working around the following themes and questions:
-How do we affect new thinking inside a connected community looking for movement to create change?
With the Loisaida Artistic Residency program we aspire to benefit both the community of independent artists as well as the geographical community of Loisaida. The program works as breeding space to afford the community access to contemporary art practices and its everyday creators, while also offering opportunities for artists to develop and present their work.
-Is connection itself a territory?
The selected proposals are those that include components in which both artists and community nurture one another in a symbiotic process of education and art creation, to share their work with our community, and inspire conversation and innovation throughout the city. This unique Artistic Residency provides a budget for project materials and rehearsal/creative space for the recipient of the residency while bringing a substantial amount of activities to the Center.
Residents can make use of different areas throughout our facilities and other resources to achieve their artistic goals. Selected artists and projects will strive to:
- Open the development or rehearsal process of the project to the Loisaida community, providing opportunities for creative development.
- Produce a public component (or a suitable alternative) to share the work developed during the residency i.e. dance, interdisciplinary or site-specific work that builds bridges across generations, communities and cultures. This production will be free for all Loisaida community members.
- Engage the Loisaida community in the themes of the work-in-progress by hosting a choice of monthly artist-talk, flash exhibit, or story circles that deepen communal bonds, nurture emerging artists and give voice to the strength, vitality, history and aspirations of Loisaida residents. These components could culminate in a gallery showing and/or short play series inspired by the discussions, stories, images and/ or objects shared through this process.
- Cultivate relationships that we hope will extend beyond the Art Residency to create lasting symbiotic relationship that nurtures invited artist, the Loisaida Center, and the communities we both serve.
- The selecting committee is comprised of the center’s chief curator and an Artistic Advisory Board.
- Loisaida inc. organizes studio visits with curators, writers, college groups and other artists for all residents.
- The Loisaida Inc. Center is a platform for contemporary and emerging artists (Individual or Companies) who are inclusive of a Latino sensibility, working in a variety of disciplines like: music, theater, performance art, poetry, dance, visual arts, creative writing, cultural research and more.
- The Art Residency at Loisaida is a program that aspires to benefit both the community of independent artists as well as the geographical community of Loisaida. This unique Artist Residency will provide rehearsal/creative space for the recipient of the residency while bringing a substantial amount of activities to the Center. The program will provide the Loisaida community access to contemporary art world, while also offering opportunities for artists to develop and present new work.
Applications are accepted on a rolling open call basis. To apply to our residency program, please fill out this form AND email a short proposal to: email@example.com
Our past residents include:
Loisaida Artistic Residency Program are supported in part, by public funds from the the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, Stonewall Foundation, Ford Foundation, the MOSAIC Foundation of the New York Community Trust and the Howard Gilman Foundation.¡Gracias!