The Loisaida Cultural Archives honors the breadth of achievements and resolve of the Loisaida community from the harsh times of disinvestment (1970-80s) to contemporary issues of displacement prevention and archival inclusion of LatinX stories and contributions. It does that through recording neighborhood oral histories, art exhibits, gatherings, meetings and more. The different opportunities and activities offered through the archives are designed to introduce the old neighborhood to newcomers and rebuild a community’s sense of self, and preserve the history of the less recognized and grass-roots collaborations that shaped the Lower East Side and continues to shape it presently.
There is a thematic emphasis on exchange of knowledge and preserving local folklore, stories and media that continue to build on a much larger history. The objective is to incite conversation, thinking, and community collaboration with common goals of preservation and social justice.
As part of the archives, Loisaida is designing an Interactive Community Board as a place to Know Your Rights and bring about an overview of basic rules appealing to the moral responsibilities of citizens and officials to coexist peacefully. Celebrating citizens is key to the archives as we are open to host workshops and experimental events where researchers, scholars, hobbyists and artists invite residents to participate in cultural and recreational activities encouraging intergenerational cross sharing of ideas and skills.
Some of the following conversations were possible in partnership with the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.
Past Event Listings:
- Decade of Fire at Metrograph, NYC
- Counter Institution: Activist Estates of the Lower East Side
- Premiere of “Last One Standing”
- Charas is alive on Spaceship Earth: Reception + Performances
- Dome Building Workshop at Loisaida
- Cocinando Justicia / Cooking Justice
- Rompiendo Puertas – Break and Enter
- Panel: Illustrated Talk: Protest and Celebration
- Culture is A Community Garden
- Loisaida Voices Ring Loud!
- Ours to Lose
- Remembering Bimbo Rivas
- Arts Path to Leadership
- BARRIOS(\ˈbär-ē-ˌōz\) A Seis del Sur Town Hall
- The New Rican Spirit-A Celebration of the New Rican Village
- City and Media in the work, life and afterlives of Julia de Burgos
- Sense of the Lense
- InVisible Movement
“Opinions like those expressed while in a panel, presentation, performance or through artwork are expressed by the author in their personal capacity and are the author’s own. They do not necessarily reflect the views of Loisaida Inc., its affiliates or staff.”